Radon is a colorless, odorless, radioactive gas and is the leading cause of lung cancer in nonsmokers. Iowa households have especially high levels of radon (over six times the national average!), and the Iowa Department of Public Health recommends that everyone test their home.
Testing is the only way to know if radon is present. You can't see, taste, or smell radon. There are also no immediate symptoms, but long-term exposure can cause cellular damage leading to lung cancer. Click here for a video on how to test for radon.
The Black Hawk County Board of Health recommends the following measures to reduce the impact of radon exposure on public health:
Radon test kits can be purchased through numerous vendors, both online or in person. Also, Black Hawk County Health maintains a small number of Air Check short-term radon test kits on hand and sells them at a cost of $10.00 per kit.